If you’re like most of us we love to use the New Year as a refocus tool to establish healthy habits again. Most of these habits revolve around health and weight which are two hard monsters to tackle without a plan. We’ve enlisted the help of Jillian Thorson, owner of Liftbridge Yoga Studio in New Richmond, to give you six great steps to ensure your resolutions make it past February 1!
- Buddy System: You most likely aren’t the only one who made a healthy New Year Resolution. Commit to going to the gym, studio or doing an at home work out with a friend, spouse, or family member. Working out is so much fun with someone to push you along every step of the way.
- Reward yourself: Celebrate your success! Treat yourself to something you enjoy that doesn’t contradict your resolution. For example, if you have been sticking to your promise to eat better, reward yourself with new fitness clothing or going to a movie or an event with a friend.
- Stick to it: Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit and 6 months to become part of your personality. Remember, it won’t happen overnight , so be persistent and patient. Enjoy the journey!
- Track your progress: There are many devices and apps out there that can do this for you, but you can also track your progress by writing each small success down. Short-term goals are easier to keep and each small accomplishment will keep you motivated. Start by planning each day; meals, workouts and sleep patterns, then allow that to turn into weekly plans.
- Don’t beat yourself up: Perfection is unattainable. Remember that minor missteps when reaching your goals are completely normal. Everyone has ups and downs; resolve to recover from your mistakes and get back on track. Take it one day at a time.
- Listen to your body. There will always be a new superfood. Just eat what makes you feel super. Self Care isn’t just for Sundays. Take breaks when your body needs it.